Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Anwar Movie Review-Watchable

I finally saw Prithvi's Anwar, yesterday! Now, I am going to review it today, it will be a short one. :) Anwar stars Prithviraj and Mamta Mohandas in the lead roles with Prakash Raj and Lal in supporting roles. The movie is directed and written by Amal Neerad and the music is by Gopi Sunder. Though Im a Prithvi fan I am gonna be honest here :

Story: Its basically about Anwar( Prithviraj) taking revenge for the death of his parents and sister, but in a different/new way. To read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_%282010_film%29

Prithvi was good in his role, just perfect. He handled the emotional scenes well, especially the one where Prithvi goes to the police for his parents and sis's bodies and the part where he meets Prakash Raj for the first time. Mamta really didn't have anything to do, which was shocking to me cause normally in Malayalam films there is something for the lead actress to do( my opinion ). But, Prithvi and Mamta made a very cute pair. :) Prakash Raj's was good in his character though, most of the time he was speaking in Tamil, actually the whole time.( I think he was supposed too?). Lal was superb as always :) Poor Nithya Menon, she didn't have anything to do :(

Music: One of the best albums I have heard in Malayalam in the recent times. Its a masterpiece I must say. Gopi Sunder is here to stay. Click to read my Music Review: http://scooponthesouth.blogspot.com/2010/09/anwar-music-review-d.html

Hello Green screen!
The story was a really deep minded and a message orientated one. But it wasn't gripping enough, I found myself getting a bit bored especially towards the end, when there is this long fight scene which was like 10 minutes. Maybe the director should have made it more interesting. But the Climax was excellent. :) I also found that they were using the effect of slow motion too much, when it wasn't necessary. It was used a lot in the fight scenes, which made you feel like the movie was going toooo slow. I can understand why when they show Anwar's flashback, but for the fights it was totally not needed. I also felt that the song Njan was ruined by the green screen backgrounds. They seriously could have thought of something better than that! Its just super awkward if you think about it.


Pros:
  • Prithviraj
  • Music
  • Mamta Mohandas
  • The climax
  • Prithvi-Mamta pair
  • Background score- also done by Gopi
  • Flashback
  • The Cast
Cons:
  • Misuse of slow motion
  • Story isn't gripping enough
  • Green screen in the song Njan
  • Mamta's role is too short

Watch it for Prithvi,Mamta and the deep message that the movie sends. :)

Official Website of Anwar: http://www.anwarthemovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment